Tuesday, March 23, 2010

When Is It Enough Part 2

  • After facing the terrrors of Kindergarten we finally stepped into the world of actual education with prpoer curriculum.
  • Oh the horror of it all.
  • The first shock came when I was told to wear that awful thing we call uniforms. But that was just the beginning. Not only did I endure that awful attire but when I stepped into the school premises I learnt that all the other kids had been subjected to the same torture. And now we all looked like copies of each other.
  • Anyways when I entered grade one section D (which I have to admit I always thought was never right cuz of my name I should have been in section A... my naive days) at my primary school the thing that hit me was "Oh no. That is what we need to sit on. Those ugly, brown things covered with a top so much so that it almost felt like a prison. And then came anotehr shocker. Not only were we supposed to sit on them but we also had to allow someone else to sit beside us.
  • I was apalled at the idea. How could I let someone else come within my own personal space? Afterall space is one of the important things that matter to a young kid (Well it mattered to me). While contemplating my future seat partner I was thinking whether it would be a girl who could not stop talking or a guy who loved to show everyone how strong he was by beating the person who came in reach of his arm.
  • As it turned out most of my fears were just that.......fears. The next few days were spent by everyone trying to find that perfect someone with whom you were ready to share the next 1 (or in some cases 5) year. Trust me it wasn't all that different from the modern tactics of matchmaking. Every move you made was carefully measured and referenced by your prospective seat partner(s). It was like a stage play with much higher stakes. Eventually we all settled down. My seat partner for that year was a girl. She was alright but compared to her I felt like a midget. I had to turn my neck all the way to 90 degrees if I wanted to talk to her. I wish I knew that this would be something I'll be doing for the rest of my life.
  • The next problem I encountered was strange. When our English teacher (whose name completely escapes me at this point in time) told us to write a small paragraph on our very first day, I thought to myself....This is easy. I jotted down my thoguhts in no time but when I went to the desk so that Miss So and So could assess my effort I did not know how much trouble I was in.
  • After giving my essay a fleeting look she gave me such a dismal stare that I thought someone had died. On full inquiry I found that according to Miss So and So my life ahead will be fraught with difficulties especially in the art of English language. She said that my writing was completely illegible and instead of letters I drew shapes which resembled the whole animal kingdom (according to her). Now if someone told me today that my writing is bad I'd laugh and forget about it but to a 5 year old this was serious stuff.
  • And now my poor soul is crushed after reminiscing that sad sad fact and from that day onwards there began a legendary hatred between me and most of my English teachers. So now I'm going to skulk off in the secret and let anyone (if anyone is actually reading) tell me what that 5 year old should have done in that situation.
  • What I actually did is a story for another time.....another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment